Saturday, December 4, 2010

Invitation 3rd Birthday

Quit your job!

Do not take me literally, I simply entitled this post the translation of a series of articles that you can find on the site of Etsy , entitled "Quit your day job "
I find these articles very interesting because they involve interview a designer who sells her handmade items on Etsy and has managed to leave her job to devote himself to his shop, what many of us dream ...
So I asked permission from the head of this series if I could translate these interviews to allow the French access to these valuable data for all those who are seriously considering one day live their passion . MaryMary accepted with great enthusiasm and I take this opportunity to thank her.
is the first part, I hope there will be many others: Me and Matilda

How did you start in the market for hand-made?
At some level, I always made-up things. When I was little, they were accessories for my dolls' house with pieces of cardboard, empty spools of thread and fabric pieces. In my teens I "created" clothing from drawing I begged my grandmother to interpret in modern clothes and notebooks. I watched my mother (who continues to proclaim that she can not sew on a model) to create sumptuous costumes for my theater class university and my big sister who can do everything from scratch. I grew up in a house where the expertise of women was an important part of life.


Tell us about your previous employment status and the path that led you to Etsy.
Before Me and Matilda , I spent many years in the management of veterinary hospitals. Like many people, having a child has completely changed my life. I continued to do this demanding job until the desire to change his life becomes an obsession. Somewhere along this journey, I rediscovered sewing and I developed a real passion for creating with fabric -that is what eventually led me to Etsy.


Did you prepare for this transition to full time?
My experience in business management was very helpful. Honestly, I did not get the chance to prepare myself as much as I would have wished. A series of events of life related to health and the enormous difficulty of reconciling motherhood with a full-time work pushed me to quit my job .


With Looking back, I spent years looking for sources of return and study the market without really knowing what to do exactly this information. When my son asked me a tie like his father, I found that there was really no choice for a young boy. At that time, there were only a handful of general stores that offered a line rather boring tie for boys his age. The seed of the idea really started to germinate after my son spilled a large drop of blueberry syrup on his tie, ruining them for later use. I started making shirts with fun prints for my son, and I soon received requests from friends who wanted the same . Shortly after, Me and Matilda was born.
What are your best advice in terms of marketing?
  • Take good pictures. is a process that constantly refines me because I am not a photographer. I know that my ability to take beautiful photos are limited by my simple digital camera, so I tried to take good photos with a clear representation of my products. It was a thrill to wake up one morning and find one of my photos on the blog of a national magazine about marriage !
  • List Articles regularly on Etsy is also a good idea. I try to keep a certain freshness and add new items regularly.
  • Blogs have been wonderful in supporting my business. I was fortunate to have my neckties and bowties featured in several blogs and magazines .
  • Join a team. I joined the team Etsykids , and the team Etsymom and also that of CAST . I'm so busy that it is difficult to be as active as I was, but I try to put my "tags" (keywords) correctly and make "Treasury" with other members of my team as often as possible .
Other experiments less successful?
I already said that I owe much to the blogging community
. Let me add here that I never had many benefits to send my articles to bloggers for objective criticism (we call this practice "review" among Anglo-Saxons). I noticed that in most cases, bloggers who loved my products really looking nice pictures and interesting content for their readers, and they were not asking for my products for real analysis. It's just my own experience, and I certainly will not say that this is not true for other shops.


What was your article or your collection the most popular so far?
The Big Dot neckties (ties knots and big dots) are very well. They were popular from the start and has found continued success after being published in magazines and on websites. Since I added other lines to tie knots and peas in almost every color you can imagine. People seem to appreciate the patterns peas polka.
What was the request of a client or most memorable?
Once I customized tie tie embroidered with the letters on the front. It was a command fun and entertaining as I have reiterated many times since. I also order from many customers who send me their supplies. I remember one day received a parcel with inside fabric printed in green and lawyers, so I thought there would be no way to make pretty bow ties or neckties. Once the work is completed, I was pleasantly surprised.


I think that orders the most touching were those days of adoption. I learned only recently that the National Day Adoption fell in November. That day, volunteers work together to finalize thousands of adoptions at no cost. I once made a set of 5 shirts for five boys who were adopted together - a real pleasure.


What is the biggest challenge you face in your daily schedule ?
's all about balance. My day starts at 6.30am when I put my hat Mom and I prepare my son for school. Once I know the safe at school I head to the house to catch up my e-mail, drink lots of coffee and make my program work for the day. Then I sew for hours, preparing orders for shipping and get outside to go to the post office ..
In the late afternoon, it's time to get my son to school. Back at home, I enjoy spending time with him discussing his day at school then we take care of duties . My son is dyslexic highly , even if it is really bright, it needs a lot of tutoring. It is an incredible challenge to change lifestyle by moving from sustained work in the morning to find space Zen helps me support my child over homework, then relax and enjoy a family dinner. Usually the list of things I have to finish plays in a corner of my mind through all this. In general, I return to my studio in the evening for a night shift which often extends beyond midnight.
What do you most regarding the fact of no longer work as before? Is there something you regret?
I appreciate the opportunity to be there for my family. So I can attend all events in the life of my son and I have to ask permission to leave work early he is ill and needs to go home . I like the fact that my success or failure is in my hands. I can help volunteer at school and catch up on missed work by spending a little more time in my studio at night.
The structure of employment and people I miss. I'm pretty sociable, so work alone in my studio is a challenge in itself. I tend to disperse across a structure imposed on yourself does not come naturally. The hardest part, they are all the details related to business as the paperwork and accounting: not my strong point.


If you could go back, what advice would you give you or a person who wishes to follow a similar path?
I found myself thinking of an old proverb that I often heard my mother uttered: "Trust, but tie your camel." It a good warning. Remember to take care of you and your family. If you do not have a specific plan to cover expenses and put bread on the table, so keep your job until it is. Everyone is different, so find what works for you. My husband still has his work and there is an underlying sense of security that . Without his support, I do not know if I could reach that level.


Once you have a reasonable plan to be able to support themselves the necessities of daily life, take a step. You must believe in your success and work every day for that purpose Nothing is easy when you start in business.
Keep your working capital for operating costs. Etsy is a great area because you can actually test the water before diving into a significant financial commitment. I think it's best to let your business grow naturally. Buy expensive equipment or rent a space for commercial work up a recipe for disaster.
Prepare yourself for success. Do your homework, be organized and plan. Set your goals and make sure that your actions will help you achieve these goals . Make sure you know your costs of production ( and there are many hidden costs ) and set your price accordingly . What happens when you are so overloaded that you need to hire a (e) assistant (e) to meet the demand?
Find your way. Inspiration is everywhere, so it is very important to filter what you see and tap into your own creative universe . It seems that most of the largest stalls incredible Etsy have their own style. I think the customers know where your items are a reflection of your soul.


What are your future goals for Me and Matilda?
I thought about this question throughout the past year. I like a little personal connections when I work for a couple who is getting married on a tie and bow tie set for this special day. I like creating sets for families and I enjoy seeing my clients grow faithful wearing my creations . Many of my clients buy my items for a special event in their lives and try to keep this idea in mind during my confections. In truth, I'm not sure what the future holds for me. I like the idea of developing a sustainable business that could one day employ people in my community and add value to the local economy . Keeping a balance between the growth of his company and that on a personal level is very important. Stay tuned.
Do you have any favorite Etsy shops you'd like talk to us?
I think about fifty shops I love in a single glance. Here are a few:
  • my sister's shop: DawnDalto is a must see. It's a very talented girl.
  • Like PalomasNest for its simple and elegant style. She was one of my first clients knew Etsy, I doubt she can remember but I remember having loved his sense of aesthetics at the time.
  • Another shop very pretty and I love known Rikrak .
  • HomeGrownPillows confections for her adorable, high quality and style of its therapeutic pillows.
  • Digitalsoaps is a boutique fun with great storage items for the holidays.
  • I also Kittycrossbones supplies for its promotional and my friend Anne Hazelanne makes adorable skirts and dresses for women and children.
few words of wisdom to conclude?
A big thank you to Etsy to have been a great incubator that has helped many talented creators to find success. Without this, it would be much more difficult to bridge the gap between artisans and customers. So thank you to Etsy to give us a place to sing.
Thanks to Tonia for sharing with us her story. You can see part of his works below:


0 comments:

Post a Comment